Review: Oculus Rift S vs Oculus Quest
(The following owes a debt to John Jim at CNET)
Let’s start with the similarities:
- Both are priced the same.
- Both have the self-contained camera tracking system.
- There are five cameras around the headset that incorporate Oculus’ new Insight tracking system
- This system which does not require room sensors. It functions in a very similar way as the self-contained Microsoft 360 VR headsets do.
- Both have the familiar headbands.
- Both have built in audio
- Both allow full room movement and controller support that feel virtually the same.
- Both work with the same “touch controllers”.
- They both have:
- Analog control sticks
- They both have:
- Buttons and dual triggers.
- They can recognize when fingers are on or off buttons thus providing for grabbing action
- Oculus has announced that both Rift and Quest games will support cross-buy and cross-play. So, game libraries should cross-pollinate if you wish to switch hardware.
Differences between the Oculus Rift S and the Quest.
- There are five cameras around the headset that incorporate Oculus Rift S’s new Insight tracking system, which, as we mentioned, does not need room sensors. The Quest only has 5 cameras.
- The fifth camera in the Rift S is is designed to add a more expansive room tracking for compatibility with the Rift’s existing library of games.
- Oculus Rift S features a button which slides the Rift S closer or further away to accommodate people with glasses.
- The Rift S has an interesting mixed reality-like way to establish room boundaries with the headset on. It’s called called “Passthrough+”. The “real world” is viewed via cameras in black and white, while 3D grid-like room boundaries can be painted onto the space around the viewer.
- The Quest does not function in the exact same way but does allow the room edges to be easily set.
- The Quest is self-contained while the Rift S need to be tethered to a gaming PC.
- The Quest will deliver a higher resolution, at 1,600×1,440 per eye.
Compare New Facebook 360 VR Goggles Oculus Rift S & Oculus Quest
Please follow, share and like us: