My take on Kellie Pickler on “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?”
Opinion By Maria Lopez ” MLo”
Dateline: Brooklyn, NYC
We recently had a great gig – Teleprompter Operator for a Webcast “Live From BAM”. After the Webcast the guys were all laughing their butts off at a video they saw on YouTube and thinking there were so freekin’ superior to a fellow actress, Kellie Pickler. I really like this woman. She’s talented and the fact that she didn’t know the name of the country which has Budapest as its capital. Frankly, before she answered, most of the guys thought it was Czechoslovakia or some other country in that area. I must admit their guess was better than “France”, which was Kellie Pickler‘s answer. Really? Really?
A set of stunning pipes and a Daisy Duke-like sex appeal propelled Kellie Pickler from country-girl obscurity to the Top Six of American Idol‘s fifth season. Her charming babe-in-the-woods persona also contributed to her post-Idol success, resulting in a near platinum-selling album and three CMT Awards.
Rising above the potentially damaging effects of a traumatic childhood in rural North Carolina, Pickler eventually managed to mature with both a steely core and a soft heart. Bolstered by the musical nurturing of a loving grandmother, the former roller-skating carhop may still be struggling to vanquish her Jessica Simpson-esque blonde stereotype, but Pickler’s having the last laugh: her self-titled sophomore release topped Billboard’s Top Country Albums chart in 2008 and she married songwriter Kyle Jacobs in January 2011.
Kellie Pickler: Five Fun Facts
- Kellie Pickler quit her school choir after the first day because they didn’t perform country music.
- Kellie Pickler’s song, “My Angel,” is a tribute to her late grandmother. “She was my grandmother, my mom and my best friend all wrapped into one,” Pickler told the Rochester (NY) Democrat and Chronicle. “I like to look at her now as if she is my angel.”
- Kellie Pickler would love to guest-star as a doctor on House. “Believe it or not, I used to take nursing classes,” she told the Akron (Oh.) Beacon Journal.
- Tired of frequently being the brunt of “dumb blonde” jokes, Kellie Pickler once threatened to change her hair color. “I went to management, and I was like, “I’m coloring my hair black.” Pickler told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “I want to be taken seriously as an artist.”
- Kellie Pickler says her favorite part of being famous is the shoes. “Now I can afford my shoe addiction,” she tells the Richmond (Va.) Times Dispatch. “But the hardest thing is finding a closet to fit them all! My dining room is my shoe closet right now.”
- late 1980s
A Rocky Start
When Pickler is only two, her mother, Cynthia, flees the alleged physical abuse of her husband, Clyde. Cynthia leaves Pickler with paternal grandparents – Clyde Sr. and Faye Pickler – who raise her. ”I’ve been singing since I was a little girl‚” Pickler says. ”My grandma had a collection of children’s musical books‚ and we used to sing together all the time.” While Pickler’s father struggles with alcohol and drug addiction and serves a succession of prison stints, Cynthia is convicted for prescription forgery and charged with writing bad checks.
Pickler’s mother reappears and is granted legal custody of her. But mother and daughter don’t get along. Pickler’s grandparents allege in court that Cynthia abused Pickler, although a judge finds her not guilty. Still, Cynthia relinquishes custody, and in 1997, Pickler (pictured with her grandmother Faye) returns to her grandparents. “I’m not as bad as they say,” Cynthia tells the Charlotte (NC) Observer. “I just made bad choices.”
With her lovable babe-in-the-woods looks and powerful country pipes, Pickler cracks Idol‘s Top 10. But some skeptics feel Pickler’s ditzy antics – blundering the pronunciation of “salmon” and admitting she’s never heard of calamari – are a shrewdly calculated act. ”I never think about what I say before I say it, and that always comes back to bite me in the ass”, she tells the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “I don’t know how to be anything but myself.”
Top Left: Courtesy Kellie Pickler
BIOGRAPHY (top to bottom): Courtesy Kellie Pickler; Ray Mickshaw/FOX
- It’s a pretty day in Nashville…this is what I call hammock laying weather. @CapitalG73 http://t.co/9jhPAVW85:47 AM JUL 29th from Echofon
- You can still enter for a chance to win a Tone® Swag Bag on the Tone Facebook page! http://t.co/68v79i954:40 AM JUL 28th from WhoSay
- “It Is Well With My Soul…”6:18 AM JUL 27th from Twitter for iPhone
- Congrats to Emily P. for winning the Turn It Up® with Tone® Sweepstakes grand prize! I can’t wait to meet you in Nashv… http://t.co/iPTNAOul5:16 AM JUL 26th from WhoSay
- @ShannonIhrke Thank you so much for your service! It’s an honor to be on the cover with you! PS: You’re gorgeous. 3:33 AM JUL 25th from Echofon
- Isaiah 41:10 http://t.co/QTugff9Q6:06 AM JUL 25th from WhoSay
- Please keep my sis Summer Holt Miller in your prayers…she has breast cancer. #NightmareIWishICouldWakeUpFrom #SummerMiller11:01 AM JUL 24th from WhoSay
- “@tish919: @kelliepickler By the way you look beautiful on the Maxim cover.” thank you love! 10:54 AM JUL 24th from Mobile Web
- @tish919 Brad, God bless you & your family for the sacrifice you all have made for this beautiful country. #USA10:45 AM JUL 24th from Mobile Web
- Special issue: Maxim “Salutes the Military” is on sale nationwide on Tuesday, July 31 & I’m on the cover!!! #Maxim #USO @MaximMag11:38 AM JUL 23rd from Twitter for iPhone
- Girls day with @SummerHerlocker 8:42 AM JUL 23rd from Twitter for iPhone
- My Gpa Pickler is 77 today! #HappyBirthdayGrandpaPickler6:15 AM JUL 22nd from Twitter for iPhone
- Airports are filthy.5:45 AM JUL 22nd from Twitter for iPhone
- Thanks to everyone who came to my show tonight! Xo 4:39 AM JUL 21st from Twitter for iPhone
- “@kristindunn200: @kelliepickler amazing show 2nite! U r too funny! U need ur own talk show!” I’d love to have my own show! It’d be fun! 4:39 AM JUL 21st from Twitter for iPhone
- @johnrich @donaldjtrumpjr @erictrump @jakeowen @dierksbentley Uh oh! Where’s Daisy Duke when you need her?!?! Lol 2:51 AM JUL 21st from Twitter for iPhone